What are retainers?
Retainers are tools used to maintain the teeth after braces are removed. There are 2 types of retainers. One is removable retainer, this type of retainer consists of plastic frame that comes in different colors, and a wire. This type of retainer is removable for easy cleaning. And because it is removable, it is easier to floss and brush teeth too. The second type of retainer is attached to the back of the teeth, usually is used for lower teeth.
Why are retainers needed?
Retainers are necessary to preventing from shifting back to its former position or to move to a different direction. Retainers must be used until the teeth, jaw, and gums are aligned to the result that the dentist has designed.
How to care and store retainers?
• You should brush your retainers the same time you brush your teeth in the morning and in the evening. Clean it thoroughly using tooth paste.
• Do not soak in hot or very hot water as it will distort the shape of your retainers.
• You can use additional cleaning liquid for retainers available in the market
• Try not to forget your retainers when taking it off, for example when eating-out and putting it in a tissue paper. To prevent from losing your retainers, you should put it in the container provided by your dentist.
• Retainers that are not properly stored in the container must not be placed in your pocket because it can distort the shape or break it altogether.
Your retainers should be properly cleaned before you place it back into your mouth, failure to do so will risk bacteria contamination in your mouth and will cause more problems for you.